Get the most out of your insulation.
With these tips, you’ll be ready to roll.
- R-value is one of the most important considerations when choosing insulation. R-value is a measure of thermal resistance. The higher the number, the better the insulation.
- Use high R-value insulation such as spray foam on exterior walls. On cathedral ceilings, consider rigid foam to get more insulation with less thickness.
- Avoid fire hazards. Be careful when placing insulation next to a recessed light fixture—unless it is insulation contact (IC) rated—to avoid a fire hazard.
- Think “safety first.” Always wear protective gear when installing home insulation, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid safety hazards.
- Adding attic insulation is one of the most cost-effective ways to make your home more comfortable.
- Take the ENERGY STAR pledge to make your home more energy efficient.
If you've enjoyed reading these tips, sign up below to receive more of them once a month through our newsletter.