Minimize air conditioning costs.
Play it cool with these simple tips.
- Plant a deciduous shade tree near your home to control the amount of heat that reaches your house.
- Increase your attic insulation if the joists are showing. Recommended level: R-38 or 10-16 inches blown.
- Have your HVAC systems serviced or tuned-up annually to maximize efficiency and comfort.
- Seal leaking ductwork throughout your home. Approximately 20% of air moving through duct systems is lost to leaks.
- Install a programmable thermostat; set it higher when you are away.
- Setting your air conditioner just five degrees higher can save 20% on cooling costs.
- Install ceiling fans to circulate cool air throughout the house.
- Maintain consistent temperatures.
Windows and vents:
- Seal and weatherstrip around doors and windows. About 10-25% of energy used to cool homes escapes via leaks.
- Shade your windows with light-colored shades to reflect heat.
- Close draperies and shades on south-facing windows to block sunlight and heat during the day.
- Install awnings on windows that get excessive sun in the late afternoon.
- Move furnishings away from floor or return air vents.
Now, take the ENERGY STAR pledge to make your home even more energy efficient.
If you've enjoyed reading these tips, sign up below to receive more of them once a month through our newsletter.