Minimize air conditioning costs.
Play it cool with these simple tips.
- Plant a deciduous shade tree near your home to control the amount of heat that reaches your house.
- Increase your attic insulation if the joists are showing. Recommended level: R-38 or 10-16 inches blown.
- Have your HVAC systems serviced or tuned-up annually to maximize efficiency and comfort.
- Seal leaking ductwork throughout your home. Approximately 20% of air moving through duct systems is lost to leaks.
- Install a programmable thermostat; set it higher when you are away.
- Setting your air conditioner just five degrees higher can save 20% on cooling costs.
- Install ceiling fans to circulate cool air throughout the house.
- Maintain consistent temperatures.
Windows and vents:
- Seal and weatherstrip around doors and windows. About 10-25% of energy used to cool homes escapes via leaks.
- Shade your windows with light-colored shades to reflect heat.
- Close draperies and shades on south-facing windows to block sunlight and heat during the day.
- Install awnings on windows that get excessive sun in the late afternoon.
- Move furnishings away from floor or return air vents.
Now, take the ENERGY STAR pledge to make your home even more energy efficient.