Get the facts on heat pumps.
Without all the hot air.
Learn why heat pumps may be
the perfect choice for your home.
Heating and cooling represent a major component of your total energy costs – up to 50 percent of your monthly bill depending on the time of year. If your climate control system is old and inefficient, it can cost you hundreds of extra dollars annually.
There's never a bad time to start thinking about an upgrade. Energy-efficient electric residential heat pumps offer distinct advantages over gas furnaces, including:
- Advanced design. Heat pumps are the most efficient systems for heating and cooling your home.
- Year-round comfort. Heat pumps keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Savings. Install a heat pump to reduce energy consumption and watch your monthly bill drop.
- Reliability. Heat pumps last an average of 20 years.
Options to get pumped about.
Electric heat pumps come in two varieties. Choose from:
Air Source Heat Pumps: Air source units are the most common electric heat pumps on the market. They pull heat from outside air to warm your home in the winter. In summer months, they pull heat from inside your home and release it into surrounding air.
Geothermal Heat Pumps: Either a water-source or ground-source heat pump, these pumps regulate temperatures using the near-constant warmth of the earth's crust as a regulating mechanism. Liquid is circulated through pipes deep in the ground where it picks up or distributes heat. As the liquid circulates back to the surface, heat is again distributed or absorbed by air flowing across it. This adjusts the temperature of the air, which then blows into your home.
- Tip: Install a humidifier and set it at 35% to 40% humidity in the winter. This will help your home feel warmer at a lower temperature setting. See more heating tips.
Pump up the savings with incentives from PSO.
Find instant discounts on new HVAC equipment through PSO and when you complete at least two additional qualifying upgrades through Home Performance with ENERGY STAR, you'll be eligible for the 50% Multiple Upgrade Bonus. You could earn up to $5,000 in total incentives from PSO.
Locate a service provider in your area, or call 888.776.1366 for more information. Get the tax credits you deserve.
Here's a list of federal tax rebates that may be available for heat pump upgrades.
For additional information about heat pump efficiency and products, visit the ENERGY STAR website.