What it is and What to Expect
What is a Home Energy Assessment?
A home energy assessment, also known as a home energy audit, assesses how much energy your home consumes, evaluates what steps you can take to make your home more comfortable and help you save money on your utility bill.
What to Expect
When you take advantage of PSO’s multiple upgrades, this is what to expect during your energy assessment:
Your service provider will work with PSO’s specially trained technicians to schedule an assessment of your home from top to bottom. Plan on the assessment taking 1-2 hours.
Make sure you have the following ready when the technicians arrive:
- 12 months of electric and gas usage data
- Access to all A/C vents
- Access to attic hatches/utility closets
What is being assessed?
- Health and safety (Carbon Monoxide (CO) levels, moisture, and indoor air quality problems)
- Overall comfort level (cold/hot spots, indoor air quality)
- Air sealing opportunities
- Insulation levels
- Heating system efficiency
- Cooling system/central air conditioning efficiency, if applicable
- Domestic hot water system efficiency
The technician will take photos of all items assessed during their visit.
Your service provider will make the improvements, and you will receive all eligible rebates as an instant discount off the total cost of your service provider’s invoice. Federal Tax Credits may also be available for energy-efficient home improvements.
To ensure the quality of your upgrade installations, the technician will return to re-assess your home and in 6-8 weeks you will receive:
- A Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® certificate via mail
- An email survey asking about your experience
- A report of your assessment from your service provider (upon request)
The results? A more comfortable home that uses less energy and saves you money.
Click here to learn more.